Friday, June 20, 2008

Bistro 277 on Main

Saturday 31st May 2008

The Bistro 277 used to be the Ile de France. It doesn't have the same opulence it had in its previous days but the decor is chic and more casual and light. The food is good and can rival some better known restaurants in Johannesburg and they still managed to maintain some of their French traditional dishes of the past.

I had a large portion of boullabaisse which was outstanding and Colleen said her duck matched or was even better than the signature dish of Le Canard which is saying something!
I enjoyed the restaurant although the odd selection of waiters was a bit surprising to me. One waiter was extremely tall another short and one with half his front teeth missing. If these are the ambassadors of the restaurant and I have nothing against tall and short in fact it works well in a circus then you should be more selective to create a harmonius effect? Also although the service is prompt the waiters don't have the finesse that the more posh restarants have and tend to plonk your food down in front of you.This is something that the Bistro needs to look at if it wants to maintain a good reputation and not become a mere hamburger house.

I would rate this restaurant a 6 and 1/2 out of 10.
Reviewed by Brian

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed Bistro 777 but there are one or two things I would like to point out.

On the positive side, the duck was superb, the best I have had, even better than La Canard! High praise coming from me I assure you.

On the negative side, I did not find the service to be anything to write home about. The food was plonked down in front of you with none of the aplomb that we have found at other restaraunts of this calibre.

Mathews beef was served with what looked like oven baked chips while the rest of us got a fancy side dish of veg etc.

It was nice, but I wouldn't edge anyone to try it for anything other than the duck.